Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Does Acupuncture Hurt?

On a recent weekday, Samuel Lee, senior Oriental medicine doctor and licensed acupuncturist with GD Institute of Integrated Medicine, took time from his busy schedule to show me the tools of his trade: an assortment of disposable needles!

"Does acupuncture hurt," I asked.

"You be the judge," he smiled.


Here I am with several needles in my hand and arm, and I am happy to report that I experienced no pain -- from either the needles or, later, from my carpal tunnel! This is not typical! An ordinary patient with carpal tunnel would require six to eight weekly treatments before experiencing significant pain relief or healing, Lee said.

Whew! I'm so glad to receive confirmation once again that I am not ordinary!

Please stay tuned. I will be visiting the GD Institute of Integrated Medicine in Duluth throughout the semester to learn more about acupuncture and the life of the 90+-year-old Nam Soo Kim, who has been practicing acupuncture for more than 70 years and who is considered a legend in South Korea.




3 comments:

  1. Very interesting, Cathy! Wanting to hear more about your visit with Nam Soo Kim - so, please report!

    Emily H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it really doesn't hurt? I'm cringing just looking at that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been getting acupuncture for years and love it. I can attest that it is not painful at all, and it works!

    ReplyDelete